This department was known earlier as ' Industry and Technical Education Department'
as it was under control of Department of Industry. In the year 1973, it was separated
and established as an independent department as Department of Science and Technology.
Again, in the year 2007 the Department of Information Technology was carved out
as an independent Department from the Department of Science and Technology.
An era of technical education started in Bihar with establishment of Bihar College
of Engineering Patna in 1924, which at present, converted as National Institute
of Technology, Patna. This was the 6th Oldest Engineering College in India. After
independence industrial revolution took place and to fulfill the needs of the nation
for technological manpower, Bihar Institute of Technology, Sindri was started as
College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering at Patna in the year of 1949. It
was later shifted to Sindri on 17th November 1950. After that Muzaffarpur Institute
of Technology was established in the year 1954.
In the year 2000, after bifurcation of the state, Bihar Institute of Technology,
Sindri became part of Jharkhand Sate. At present, in Bihar sixteen engineering colleges
and seventeen Polytechnic institutions are functioning.
The major work of the Technical Education department are:-
- To promote and develop Technical Education in the State by:-
a) Starting new courses in emerging new technologies
with the approval of AICTE.
b) Opening new institutions in State to expand
training facilities, with the approval of AICTE.
c) Providing infrastructural facilities to the
institutions functioning under the aegis of the department.
- To formulate educational policies and programmes and disseminate the policies of
the Govt. with respect to Technical Education System.
- To plan annual budget allocation for technical education in State and ensure optimal
utilization of funds.
- To ensure standards of technical stands by facilitating provision of state of art
quality education and training in areas of Technical and Technician education .
- To monitor the standards of institutions and initiate corrective measures.
- To prescribe rules of recruitment, promotion for faculty.
- To implement world Bank Assisted Project
- To promote entrepreneurship Development.
a) Develop strong linkages with Industries.
b) Continuous Staff Development.
c) Facilitate Net working and collaboration amongst
the institutions in the State.